Welcome back, Guest!
Register
Forgot your Password?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Philippines: Cultural Heritage

Okay. So I originally just wanted to feature the Glimpses of the Old Lady of the Pacific video.

Almost forgot this thread just now, and I realize I could try to expand it to include cultural snapshots of other regions of the whole archipelago from way back. I don't want to harbor overly ambitious direction for this thread, but I do hope to include cultural gems of the nation that we could pass on to the younger generations and make them show more love and appreciation for their homeland.

If you care about what I'm rambling about, you might want to add resources (lalo na yung mga regional lang) you know to enrich this thread. This is not just mine, it's for all those country-loving citizens out there. Mabuhay ka inang bayan. Yan ha.

NOTE: In the course of doing this thread, I would be using materials from many resources that are not mine, unless specifically indicated. Hence, I hope if you like what you saw and you have the time, take time to thank the original sources. I did.

Manila: Glimpses of the Old Lady of the Pacific
    This is a snapshot of Manila before the last world war. Let's travel back in time!

Last edited by Stormer0628; 10th Nov 2016 at 22:48. Reason: expansion of scope

Default Re: The Philippines: Cultural Heritage

The Philippines 1898-1930

This one comes with a haunting background music.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by taolaba View Post
    Thanks, man. I actually thought this article belongs here, too, just as it does in the AA thread. This is also related to some thoughts I've expressed here.

As I've noted, I wanted to expand this particular thread to embrace many aspects of Philippine culture, but I realized I will have to go back a long way, to the time of peopling of this islands (prehistoric), hopefully using the theme of that other thread of mine about genetics to tie things up how we connect with the rest of humanity after Africa.

First thing I notice is the convoluted dataset when we come across the colonial period, and I have in mind first the American occupation era initially. I was struck, first by the views from America itself (remember that video of yours about the Catholic Church?), the views of Filipinos (historians, let's say), and the parallels of the African-American struggles in the US, which brought them back to the traditions of the African heartland itself. I intend to use some of the running thoughts they have come upon, because I realized they kind of speak for the Philippine situation as well as for many countries who went through colonial periods themselves (South America). The task then appeared more daunting than I first realized, highlighted in some way by the controversies surrounding the Ten Bornean Datus that an American historian appears to have junked as pure fictionalizing by a previous overzealous source (let me get back to this later)....

Dito muna, haha. Balikan ko to later.

Update: Finally read it, but skipped the last few paragraphs—for mental health maintenance. My word: this isn't history—this is a grisly horror tale at a level of those Stephen King works.

What to make of it?

The Paris Treaty was a sham. The powers do as they will, even exterminating humanity like ants or roaches while presenting a straight face to the rest of the world. The fate of the weak. Pawns against major pieces. Sacrificial lambs. Native Americans, native Filipinos, native etc., etc. their fates are written in blood as long as they never learn as the Japs or the Swiss: you can be small but bite big so the predators don't always get you. Hell. I'd like a list of those traitors. They live now and flourish even. Surprised a Legarda and Paterno would come out prominently. Can't believe how they'd even composed some of my professional circles for a time.

Be back later. That piece is a major league shaker indeed....
    Last edited by Stormer0628; 17th Nov 2016 at 19:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormer0628 View Post
    Thanks, man. I actually thought this article belongs here, too, just as it does in the AA thread. This is also related to some thoughts I've expressed here.

As I've noted, I wanted to expand this particular thread to embrace many aspects of Philippine culture, but I realized I will have to go back a long way, to the time of peopling of this islands (prehistoric), hopefully using the theme of that other thread of mine about genetics to tie things up how we connect with the rest of humanity after Africa.

First thing I notice is the convoluted dataset when we come across the colonial period, and I have in mind first the American occupation era initially. I was struck, first by the views from America itself (remember that video of yours about the Catholic Church?), the views of Filipinos (historians, let's say), and the parallels of the African-American struggles in the US, which brought them back to the traditions of the African heartland itself. I intend to use some of the running thoughts they have come upon, because I realized they kind of speak for the Philippine situation as well as for many countries who went through colonial periods themselves (South America). The task then appeared more daunting than I first realized, highlighted in some way by the controversies surrounding the Ten Bornean Datus that an American historian appears to have junked as pure fictionalizing by a previous overzealous source (let me get back to this later)....

Dito muna, haha. Balikan ko to later.

Update: Finally read it, but skipped the last few paragraphs—for mental health maintenance. My word: this isn't history—this is a grisly horror tale at a level of those Stephen King works.

What to make of it?

The Paris Treaty was a sham. The powers do as they will, even exterminating humanity like ants or roaches while presenting a straight face to the rest of the world. The fate of the weak. Pawns against major pieces. Sacrificial lambs. Native Americans, native Filipinos, native etc., etc. their fates are written in blood as long as they never learn as the Japs or the Swiss: you can be small but bite big so the predators don't always get you. Hell. I'd like a list of those traitors. They live now and flourish even. Surprised a Legarda and Paterno would come out prominently. Can't believe how they'd even composed some of my professional circles for a time.

Be back later. That piece is a major league shaker indeed....
    I felt the same way as you when I'd read this and comparing what they want us to think of them today, downright outrageous!

Genetics : Peopling the Philippines

161118A-Peopling of the Philippines.png
    FROM OUT OF AFRICA TO ASIA

161118BPhilippine_history_timeline.png
    PHILIPPINE HISTORY: TIMELINE

161118C01Amis.jpg 161118D-Tboli.jpg
    Which set is of Filipinos?

Current genetic profiling of the whole human populations on Earth reveals some startling information that defies many age-old beliefs. In the case of the Philippines, it pertains to the following:

• There is basically no Malay stock, as much as we held on to this belief for the longest time from our school/academic days.
    • What is true instead is that all Southeast Asian people share many common genes with the general Austronesian, Asian-Denisovan line, Southeast Asian type, and most Pacific Islands type.
    • Here's a total shocker: taking into account the current hostility of many Filipinos against China, it should really shake them to the core once they know that their genes point all the way from Taiwan to the Yunnan–Guizhou Plateau of China. Yes, you may read that again and then look at the third set of pictures above, because one is of Filipinos, while another one is of Chinese. Which is which, you think??

Updated:
    REFERENCES:
    Timeline of Philippine History
    Philippine mitochondrial DNA diversity: a populated viaduct between Taiwan and Indonesia
    Complete mtDNA genomes of Filipinos reveal recent and ancient lineages
    Last edited by Stormer0628; 19th Nov 2016 at 22:06.

Ulit, break muna sa depressing parts of Philippine history.

Ito muna...

Detail of video: Philippines (Champion Team) - 2009 World Culture Folk Dance Competition
    Division: Adult Large Group
    Team Name: The Philippines Performing Arts Company of Tampa Bay
    Dance: SINGKIL
    Represent: The Philippines

Philippine Culture Before the Spanish: Primitive or Advanced?

The pre-Spanish history of Philippines is shrouded in mystery. Worse, Filipinos walk the lands of their mothers without bothering to question the traitorous, poisonous mentality injected in their consciousness by their historical abusers. Now the mist around the Philippines is clearing thanks to recent discoveries.

The Spaniards, wherever they went, destroyed the local culture, plundered their gold, and massacred the people, sparing only those who converted to Christianity to drain their energies for life. But recent artifacts and references to the Philippines even by such ancient cultural masters as India, China, and Greece bear testament to the fact that far from being the purely G-stringed animistic natives, Spain arrived in the islands at a time when the native populations were already steeped in the more advanced civilizations of neighbors India and China, and are even genetically related to the great Sa Huỳnh culture that founded the Champa kingdom that included such historical giants as the Khmer and Sri Vijayan Empires.

What transpired in the Philippines parallels the recent shameful overload of evidence that the South Americas were in fact home to civilizations in many ways more advanced than the European powers that unfortunately found them in the lowest transitional periods of their continent, after the great Aztec, Mayan, Incan, and Olmec cultures went down from natural and man-made tragedies long before the smug and culturally ignorant Spanish powers overpowered them with trickery and deadly diseases.

The Philippines is a country of more than 7000 islands. Nobody asked or wondered what those places were called before they named it “ Philippines” just 400 years ago. They had their own names, their own culture, but they were ignored as primitive and uncivilized. Were they correct and justified doing that...?

Philippine Ancient Artifacts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stormer0628 View Post

Philippine Culture Before the Spanish: Primitive or Advanced?

http://www.mobilarian.com/attachment...=1167969&stc=1

The pre-Spanish history of Philippines is shrouded in mystery. Worse, Filipinos walk the lands of their mothers without bothering to question the traitorous, poisonous mentality injected in their consciousness by their historical abusers. Now the mist around the Philippines is clearing thanks to recent discoveries.

The Spaniards, wherever they went, destroyed the local culture, plundered their gold, and massacred the people, sparing only those who converted to Christianity to drain their energies for life. But recent artifacts and references to the Philippines even by such ancient cultural masters as India, China, and Greece bear testament to the fact that far from being the purely G-stringed animistic natives, Spain arrived in the islands at a time when the native populations were already steeped in the more advanced civilizations of neighbors India and China, and are even genetically related to the great Sa Huỳnh culture that founded the Champa kingdom that included such historical giants as the Khmer and Sri Vijayan Empires.

What transpired in the Philippines parallels the recent shameful overload of evidence that the South Americas were in fact home to civilizations in many ways more advanced than the European powers that unfortunately found them in the lowest transitional periods of their continent, after the great Aztec, Mayan, Incan, and Olmec cultures went down from natural and man-made tragedies long before the smug and culturally ignorant Spanish powers overpowered them with trickery and deadly diseases.

The Philippines is a country of more than 7000 islands. Nobody asked or wondered what those places were called before they named it “ Philippines” just 400 years ago. They had their own names, their own culture, but they were ignored as primitive and uncivilized. Were they correct and justified doing that...?

We are not quite as savage as they thought even before the damned spaniards came we already have a political, justice and trading systems. We even revered women as heroes, homosexuals are well tolerated and the chinese loved trading with our ancestors.

Thumbsup Re: The Philippines: Cultural Heritage

Before the spaniards came, Islam was already established.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast